It’s a crazy idea for a festival; to organise a high-altitude bivouac experience with workshops, all under the supervision of experienced guides. An idea that had been in the minds of our friends at Petzl for a long time, without having been able to put it into practice. We asked them to take up the challenge and here is the Petzl Altitude Camp, a 24-hour experience at altitude at the heart of Mont Blanc…
Embark on a unique experience at altitude. 24 hours in the heart of the Mont-Blanc massif, at the Col du Midi. At the Aiguille du Midi cable car you will be met by guides and athletes from the Petzl team to reach the bivouac site. In the alpine tradition, the bivouac is ephemeral, set up at dusk and dismantled at dawn. No trace of the bivouac will be left behind, discretion and respect for the site are required. A mess tent will be set up in the middle of the camp where you will sleep alone or in pairs (depending on your choice). After setting up camp, we head to the Cosmiques Refuge for dinner with your fellow climbers and guides. The evening will continue with film screenings and talks by Petzl team athletes!
The next morning, after dismantling the bivouac, take part in educational workshops, specially designed for you, with the aim of passing on as much information as possible to help you progress and become independent in the high mountains.
Please note that the number of places is limited, only 20 people will have the chance to go to the Petzl Altitude Camp on Thursday 16 June & Friday 17 June.
The camp will be located in the Col du Midi area. Twenty individual tents and one Samaya base-camp type collective tent will be set up close to the Cosmiques refuge. In order to keep the bivouac spirit and in respect of the regulations of the Massif du Mont Blanc, the camp will be set up each evening and then dismantled in the morning.
The Petzl Altitude Camp will take place on Thursday 16th and Friday 17th June, leaving at 3pm and returning at the same time the following day.
• self-inflating mattress
• duvet at least -10°C
• semi-automatic crampon boots or ski boots for skiers
• warm clothes for the evening such as a down jacket, tights and thermal underwear
• medication and personal items.
This equipment is in addition to that provided for each workshop.
The choice of workshop is made in the ticketing module.
• Supervision by mountain guides.
• Aiguille du Midi cable car and Panoramic Mont-Blanc round trip
• The loan of technical equipment as described in the section ‘Safety equipment provided by Petzl’.
• Full board accommodation at Petzl Altitude Camp and dinner at the Cosmiques hut (duvets and mattresses not provided).
• Logistics and transport of materials to the camp
• Presentations and film screenings
• Participation in one of the three technical workshops offered.
Choose your workshop in the ticket office
• 3pm: Meet at the Plan B hotel. Welcome and meeting with the guide in charge of the camp, introduction to the program, meet with the other participants. Distribution of Petzl equipment. Equipment check, distribution of the equipment to be taken up the mountain.
• 3.40pm: Departure for the Aiguille du Midi
• 4pm: Arrival at the summit of the Aiguille du Midi. Equipment check before the roped descent of the ridge, walk to bivouac site.
• 4.45pm: Arrival at the camp. Welcome drink offered by Samaya®, meeting & exchange with athletes and guides. Creation of workshop groups.
• 5pm: Briefing from guides for the next day (info on following morning, information from the guides on the level of their groups etc…)
• 6pm: Ascent to the Cosmiques Refuge for dinner.
• 6.15pm: Presentations & exchange with athletes.
• 7pm: Dinner to the Cosmiques Refuge
• 8pm: Film screenings and discussions with the Petzl Team at the refuge.
• 10pm: Last screenings and return to the camp for the night.
• 5.15am: Breakfast / packing tents
• 6am: Leave for workshops
• End of the morning: return to the camp to collect your belongings then return to Chamonix with the Aiguille du Midi cable car.
Every morning workshops are offered by Petzl guides and athletes.
Their aim is to give you as much information as possible to help you progress and become more autonomous in mountaineering. Depending on the group, a certain technical level may be required. Please read the technical sheet before signing up.
These courses are an essential part of our festival. People who are passionate about images, whether still or animated, are constantly looking for technical information and tips from the pros to improve their techniques.
The best professionals of the moment have mobilised to offer us training courses adapted to your needs.
In partnership with the Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix, we have put together a programme of outings for all levels, in a spirit of discovery and learning. Each of these outings will teach you the techniques and riches of the mountain.
Departures every morning from Tuesday 14th to Sunday 19th June.
Registration on the website of the Compagnie des guides de Chamonix.
The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix offers half-day hikes suitable for the whole family. Discover the local cultural heritage. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of the Chamonix Valley at the foot of Mont Blanc during a friendly outing with our specialist guides.
• Half day
• Price: from 82€
This is an unmissable Chamonix activity for children and adults alike. Small children can have exciting adventures while developing their balance thanks to specialist teaching, while older children and adults can learning climbing techniques such as belaying, setting up stances and abseiling.
• 3 hours
• Price: 80€
Multipitch rock climbing is the perfect opportunity to add a new dimension to your climbing experience. You will discover the specific techniques needed to climb multipitch bolted routes such as: double rope use, pitch leading, belaying and abseiling.
• 3 hours
• Price: 80€
The Cosmiques arete is without a doubt the most famous ridge route of the Mont Blanc Massif! Quickly accessible by the Aiguille du Midi cable car, it offers a fun and varied ascent in a majestic setting. This route is a combination of rocky terrain, abseils and short climbing sections.
• Duration: 3 to 4h
• Price : from 264€
Discovering the mountain, learning to be autonomous, improving technique, on 18 and 19 June, the French Alpine Club is organising its Grand Parcours. An event that combines discovery and training in mountaineering.
The Grand Parcours Alpinisme Chamonix-Mont-Blanc is an event organised by the Haute-Savoie departmental committee of the Club Alpin Français. It takes place on the 18th and 19th of June 2022 and offers the opportunity to learn or improve your mountaineering skills. The Grand Parcours is open to all (FFCAM members or not), from 12 years old on the day of the event.
3 levels are proposed: Discovery, Progression and Towards autonomy.
On Thursday 16 and Friday 17 June, on the occasion of the Chamonix film festival, the Grand Parcours Chamonix is offering two complementary days with an original programme.The aim is to reach two mythical refuges of the Mont-Blanc massif, the Couvercle and Requin refuges, to attend a private screening of the film Le sommet des Dieux. Experience the mountains and share a cultural experience…